A New York City attraction is being tested with a cockroach infestation after one of its cockroach-free areas received a death threat, according to a New York Times article.
The city has begun a three-week inspection of the Brooklyn Museum, which has a total of 20,000 visitors.
A New Jersey amusement park will also undergo a three week inspection of its attractions, and a Maryland park is conducting a four-week test.
The New York-based Museum of Natural History is one of the nation’s most visited museums, with more than $1.7 billion in visitor spending each year, according the museum’s website.
In addition to the threat of a death threats, a museum visitor told the Times the park had also received a handful of unsolicited phone calls and e-mails.
The threats are not related to the park’s cockroach control efforts, the Times reported.
Museum spokeswoman Jennifer Tresher said the museum received a call from the park on Oct. 29, saying a person with a gun was threatening to kill a female employee, and that she feared the call would be made again if she did not cooperate.
She said the park was unaware of the threats, and did not receive a report of an attack.
In a statement, museum spokesman Matt Brown said the threats were made to the museum, not the park, and the threats included a number of names and phone numbers for staff.
He said the threat came after a woman working at the park told a group of visitors about a person in the park who had been making threatening phone calls, which she called police.